Why It Matters
In 2016, America’s Fire and EMS personnel responded to 35,320,000 fire, medical and other types of hazards calls. Although past and present public education messaging has made a signficant impact in the numbers there is still more work to be done. The originators of some of the many wonderful public education programs in the market today are the same organizations that will be utilzing the NFPA HEROES EXPERIENCE as a means to explore new ways of garnering the attention of the public with the goal of inspiring them to change the culture of safety within their own lives.
- 14,650 civilians were injured by fire;
- 3,390 civilians died by fire;
- $10.6 billion dollars in direct property loss caused by fire;
- 44.5 million medically consulted civilian injuries;
- 161,374 civilian unintentional injury deaths;
- $967.9 billion dollars in directs costs caused by preventable injuries.
That's a 'per day' average of 451 deaths and 125,882 medically consulted visits!
Accidents (unintentional injuries) are the third leading cause of death in the U.S. and the Top cause of death for people 1-44 years of age.
*Facts/Data provided by the National Fire Protection Association and National Safety Council